Two Finally Sentenced In Five Points Gang Beating

Posted on May 19, 2012


South Carolina (The Gaslamp Post) – Two gang members who participated in a mob style attack on a single white highschool student last year in Five Points S.C. have been sentenced.  Tyheen Henry, who was 19 at the time of the attack, and an unidentified 16-year-old, received their sentences for the ambush and assault on then 18-year-old, Carter Strange, in June.

Eight people total, ranging in age from 13 to 19, were charged in the attack.

Carter Strange after the attack. Image Nicholas Stix Uncensored

In the attack, four members of a gang were reported to have jumped Carter as he was jogging home from a friend’s house, just shortly after midnight on June 20, 2011.  He was left in the parking lot of a bank and required emergency surgery to remove a blood clot.  He had a broken nose and eye socket, and required facial reconstruction surgery.  They reportedly robbed him before they fled on foot.

Carter would have died if he hadn’t been found.

Carter’s parents were livid during the defense testimony of the 16-year-old, after witness upon witness came in to testify for the accused juvenile.  Two teachers and a correctional officer from the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center’s juvenile wing were brought in to testify that the juvenile was one of the more “responsible” among his fellow inmates.

“We come in here and hear what good kids they are and how they live by a such a high moral standard,” said Vicki Strange.  “If that was the case, we wouldn’t be here.”

The juvenile has denied the he punched or kicked Carter, but insists the he merely nudged him with his foot, while he was on the ground.  He said that he then ran off with everyone else after the beating.  He pleaded guilty to assault and battery, and conspiracy.  He was ordered to be held until his 21st birthday.

Tyheem Henry, the oldest of Carter’s assailants. He was reportedly sorry he got caught. Image –

Also sentenced in the case was the oldest of Carter’s attackers, Tyreem Henry.  Henry, who was originally charged under South Carolina’s anti-lynching law, was sentenced to 15 years in prison.  He was also found guilty of assault and battery, and conspiracy.  He reportedly “broke down” in court, as Carter’s parents vented their anger at him.

“Since Carter didn’t fight against them eight Sunday, I’m going to fight for him now,” said Mrs. Strange.  “I’m going to fight for him until my last breath.”  Carter’s father also had something to say.  “I pray that you get your life right. Find God. If you pray for forgiveness, he will forgive you,” said Carter’s father, John.  “I don’t have that in my heart right now. Maybe one day, but not today.”

Carter is still healing from his physical wounds, but the family doesn’t believe that the scars left behind can begin to heal until the rest of this is behind them.

Two then juveniles have also been charged in the attack and are awaiting to be tried as adults.  Yahquann J. Gantt,17, and Delarrett Canzater, 15, are to have their day in court, as fellow conspirators in this case.  Four other juveniles who did not directly participate, have received probation in connection with the attack.  They reportedly waited by their cars and failed to report it to anyone.

“What people do when no one is looking – that is their character,” Vicki Strange said. “I believe that night when they thought no one was looking and when they thought they wouldn’t get caught, their true character came out. They didn’t just break into cars or try to scare someone. They nearly took someone’s life.”

(h/t:  The State,  dailymailoccidentaldissent)