Police Spray Bullets At Gunman On Crowded City Street, Killing Him And Wounding 9 Innocent Bystanders.

Posted on August 27, 2012


But they got their man at least… Can’t make an omelet without breaking a few eggs, right? </sarcasm>

New York (The Gaslamp Post) – A man who had threatened to kill a coworker over the past year made good on his threat last Thursday morning, after he ambushed him on a busy city street and shot him dead.  Witnesses said that the man, now identified as 58-year-old Jeffrey Johnson, fired on his intended victim at least 5 times at close range before fleeing and then encountering police officers who not only killed him, but wounded 9 other bystanders.

According to the New York Post, Johnson had reportedly been laid off from his job as a designer for women’s clothing accessories a year ago, and blamed the victim, 41-year-old Steve Ercolino.  Of the 5 shots fired, only 3 are believed to have hit the victim.

Killed by police: 58-year-old Jeffrey Johnson, disgruntled employee was shot and killed by police after gunning down former coworker.

The shooting took place at around 9:00 am that morning, in front of the Empire State Building, during that morning’s busy commuter rush.  A construction worker who had witnessed the shooting located and alerted two uniformed police officers who were on counter-terrorism duty nearby.

The officers briefly followed Johnson until he noticed them and turned around, pointing his handgun at them.

From within a range of under 10 feet, both the surprised gunman and the police encountered one another.  The police officers were able to shoot and take down Johnson without him firing a single shot at them.  His gun had reportedly jammed, according to NBC New York.

The closed circuit television video of the fatal confrontation between police and the gunman can be seen below.

In addition to the gunman, police also reportedly shot and wounded 9 innocent bystanders as they fired repeatedly at Johnson.  All of the injured bystanders; 5 women and 4 men, were taken to area hospitals and treated for what are being reported as, “non-life threatening injuries.”

Speaking after incident which brought the area literally to a standstill during the morning rush, Mayor Bloomberg said that, “…once again, there’s an awful lot of guns out there.”

It’s a good thing that New York City’s strict hand gun laws were in place.